In this article, we will provide information about the technical details of how to optimize Google Maps on iPhone or Android.
When it comes to getting directions and finding your way with GPS, navigation, and map solutions, accuracy and precision are paramount. Therefore, if your GPS can’t determine your location, things can quickly go awry and become frustrating.
If you’re using Google Maps, there are ways to increase the accuracy when it comes to location determination and getting directions/routes. For example, calibrating the compass to point in the correct direction or enabling high-accuracy mode on your Android phone.
As we elaborate on in the continuation of our article, there are several ways to improve the accuracy and precision when using the Google Maps application on Android devices, resulting in better directions and outcomes.
If you’re an iPhone user, the methods we’re about to mention below might not be effective for you; therefore, you should try restarting your phone or enabling Wi-Fi to increase the accuracy of the Google Maps application.
Optimizing Google Maps on Android Devices
If you notice that when you open the Google Maps application, the blue dot is displaying an incorrect location or direction, or if it appears to be in the wrong place, optimization can help you achieve a more accurate reading. To perform this optimization on Android devices, follow the steps below:
- Open the Google Maps application.
- While holding your Android device, move your hand as if you are drawing the number eight (8). As you continue this motion, you will see that the blue dot gradually moves to the correct location. Keep in mind that you may need to repeat this process several times for it to work effectively.
Activating High-Accuracy Mode
High-Accuracy Mode is a useful feature to enhance the performance of the Google Maps application. However, please remember that this feature only works if you have an Android device:
- Open the Settings application on your Android device.
- In the opened Settings menu, tap on Location. Depending on the brand and model of your device, this menu may also be labeled as Security and Location.
- If the Location feature is not enabled, turn it on.
- Tap on the Mode option.
- Select High Accuracy option.
Optimizing Google Maps on iPhone or Android
Unfortunately, there aren’t too many options for optimizing Google Maps on an iPhone.
Firstly, enable the Wi-Fi feature on your phone. You don’t need to connect to a network; simply turning on Wi-Fi is sufficient. Enabling Wi-Fi on both iPhone and Android scans for nearby Wi-Fi signals, which helps Google Maps display your location more accurately.
If the above method doesn’t work, try restarting your iPhone or Android phone. You need to restart your phone to refresh the GPS sensors.
Lastly, make sure that location services are enabled, especially on iPhone devices:
- Open the Settings application and tap on the Privacy menu.
- In the Privacy screen that appears, tap on the Location Services menu at the top.
- Ensure that the switch button at the top right is green and turned on. If it’s off, tap on it to turn it on.
- Scroll through your list of apps until you find Google Maps.
- On the next screen, choose either “While Using the App” or “Always.” This allows the Google Maps app to determine your location more accurately and quickly.
In this article, we provided information about the technical details of optimizing Google Maps on iPhone or Android devices.
Feel free to ask any questions or share your comments regarding this topic in the comment section below.Leave a reply